How to Become a Travltalk Contributor
How to Get Paid to Write About Travel the Honest Way!
Our Mantra: Go Your Own Way
After spending the last 16 years backpacking and exploring over 80 countries, Rhiannon Monks realised that there was still no reliable way to connect with other travellers that were in the same place at the same time – unless you joined a tour, or started out in a hostel. Travltalk is the world’s first app designed to let you meet new travel mates, split the cost of travel activities or rides and rooms, and sell travel stuff you no longer need on the road to others who might need it as they arrive. (It’s kinda like Tinder for travel without the f&*king! Besides, who needs a date when the world’s your partner.) What happens next of course is up to you haha!
Our writers are real travellers.
Travltalk.co is a platform for our approved contributors to share their stories as they connect with fellow travellers, the cities they explore, and themselves. They go to places the same way you’re about to – and tell you what they found. Our information is in the moment and reflects the challenges and first-hand experiences encountered on the road. None of this Insta travel nonsense – we show the raw ride of travel and we’re proud to show it’s not always perfect – but it’s a hell of an adventure. We make the mistakes so you hopefully don’t have to!
Travltalkers are authentic, adventurous and alternative travellers, with a thirst for knowledge. We’re not afraid to swear. We’re risqué but not rude, and love to provide practical advice to other travellers and for friends and family following back home. We can never stay in one place for too long because we know that something fantastic is always around the next corner. If that describes you, we’d love to hear from you!
Who We Are Not
We are not Insta-glammers. If you want to be paid to look pretty with a duck face in posts to robot followers, you’re in the wrong place! We want to see you down and dirty, travelling after a week of unwashed clothes, or hacking any way you can to save every penny (after all, who has the cash to splash on 5-star hotels?) and going off the beaten track is half the fun!
The Content We Want to See
Because we want as many people to know about our Travltalk app as possible and start using it, each piece of content must be linked to something that a traveller could Meet, Split, or Sell. We do not often cover stories related to tours, as solo travellers do not need this. We do however support free walking tours and local tours that need a bit of attention!
We want to see ideas for cards our Travltalk app users can create to meet up and explore with someone else who is in town the same time….
- History – ideas to meet/explore the city for free/key cultural attractions that you wouldn’t want to do alone, if only so you can share memories of this very cool place.
- Culture – non alcoholic things to meet up and discover the city
- Events – what’s going on in town on that weekend that people will know for next year / next month
- Sport Travel Events
While we don’t support tours, we support things that require group bookings or would be too expensive to do by yourself. Your readers could use Travltalk to help you find someone to split the cost with:
- Helicopter rides and adventure travel
- Hiring boats, cars, submarines – the weirder the better!
- Accommodation – AirBnB rooms, castles, private rooms
- Experiences – Lapland, Yurts, festivals, Oktoberfest, sail Croatia, winery trips in France
- Local Food Haunts – cool local restaurants and local food where you can split the cost
Are you an expat about to leave a place? Working holiday visa expiring, or the ski season is over, or you’ve just finished a camping trip?
- Let us know your tips for the next person and mention that thing you’re selling
- Let us know what you need to know when buying something for that place and in doing so, explain why yours was a good deal
How to Apply – Show Us What You’re Made Of…
If you want to become a Travltalk Contributor, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Follow us on Instagram @travltalk and @travltalking, subscribe to us on YouTube and like us on Facebook.
- Download the Travltalk app – we see this as the first sign you really want to join up!
- Create your first Travltalk card!
- You already have your trip booked that relates to the first 1-2 articles or videos you want to have published and show us proof of the booking.
- You do not currently get paid as a professional travel writer.
- You have not been paid before to write as a travel writer or Instagram influencer.
- You want to help others understand how they can follow in your footsteps and be the explorer that led the way first to help them avoid mistakes and save money / get the most out of their adventure!
What We Pay You! Our Rates
We pay our contributors the following rates:
- Long blog post (800-1500 words, at least 6-10 images): £100
- Photodiary blog (15-20 images plus detailed captions): £100
- Video with accompanying blog post (up to 1 minute in length, and focuses on something cool – for instance watching some amazing street food being made!): £150
Credit and Legal
All authors are credited, complete with short biographies and social links. Do not send unsolicited submissions. Learn more about our submissions policy on our legal page.