Guidelines for Writers
Go Your Own Way
After spending the last 17 years backpacking and exploring over 80 countries, Rhiannon Monks realized that there was no reliable way to connect with other travelers. Travltalk is the world’s first app designed to let you meet new travel mates, split rides and rooms, and sell travel stuff. With Travltalk you can plan your adventure ahead of time, with people who want to do the same thing. (Learn more about Rhiannon’s story here!)
Who We Are
Travltalking is a platform for our community to share their stories as they connect with fellow travelers, the cities they explore, and themselves. We focus on travelers and major urban tourist destinations in Europe, Australia, and Southeast Asia. We’re looking for stories from travel influencers, street gourmets, digital nomads, expats, and urban explorers.
Travltalkers are adventurous, friendly, funny, knowledgeable, and cheeky. We’re not afraid to say the word “fuck.” We’re risqué but not lewd. We can never stay in one place for too long because they known that something fantastic is always around the next corner. If that describes you, we’d love to hear from you!
Submitting Your Pitch
Travltalking gives priority to articles that have not been previously published. We are occasionally open to republishing content that was published elsewhere, with a link to the original publication. Please note:
- We do not accept unsolicited full-length work of any kind. Please send a short pitch first.
- We will not accept simultaneous or multiple submissions from a contributor not previously published on Travltalking. Send us your single best pitch!
- We welcome pitches from new as well as experienced writers who are part of the global travel community and want to hone their craft.
- In your pitch, please explain why our community would find your story compelling.
- Please include a few published writing samples that highlight your work.
- We are a British/Australian site, so we use Commonwealth spelling: traveller, honour, etc.
- We accept pitches for short-form (300-450 words) as well as long-form (600-1000 words) content.
- Write your story in conversational English: adventurous, friendly, funny, and knowledgeable.
- The best stories start with a hook – something surprising or intriguing. Be sure to lead with yours, and give your readers a clear sense of place.
- In general, video submissions must be no longer than 4 minutes, and are preferably no longer than 90 seconds.
- Images should be provided in JPEG format in high quality, no less than 1080p. Images should include a caption of 15-25 words in complete sentences.
- As part of our submission process, you will need to include your name, biography (25-35 words), website (if applicable), and any social links.
We pay our contributors the following rates:
- Instagram Image: £5
- Short blog post (300-450 words, at least 1 image): £50
- Long blog post (600-1000 words, at least 3 images): £100
- Video: £150
- Instagram Story: £15
- Snapchat Story: £15
Credit and Legal
All authors are credited, complete with short biographies and social links. Please note that we will not accept unsolicited full-length work, only pitches for stories. Learn more about our submissions policy on our legal page.